Thursday, December 5, 2013

10 Tips to Keep Your Immune System Strong

It is so easy during this busy holiday season to get run down and become sick. There is nothing worse for me than to be side-lined with a cold or flu when I can see all that still needs to be done. So here are some tips to keep you (and me) up and running (or at least walking) until Christmas! 

 1. Eat healthy. You know to avoid food high in fat and calories. Eat the rainbow--fruits and veggies. Whole grains, lean meats,beans, nuts and seeds should be in your diet too.

2. Don't Smoke--nuff said.

3. Get more sunshine (not sunburn). Here in MN that would mean spending time out in frigid temps--not very practical. Taking a Vitamin D supplement is what we have to do here.

4. Get enough sleep. Hormones are released that help your body repair, rebuild and recover. If you aren't getting enough sleep your immune system can be compromised.

5. Exercise. It will help keep your weight under control, increases mobility, improves circulation and boosts your immune system. You don't need to run like I do but aim for 30 minutes most days if you can. Allow one day for muscles to recover and rest. 

6.  Cut back on sugar. It sneaks up in processed foods, fast food, sodas and fruit drinks. (This is so hard for me. I don't drink soda or juice or fast food but I sure do like dessert and all of these Christmas treats!)

7.  Keep your stress levels under control. Yoga is great for de-stressing and muscle relaxation. Meditation will help. Find something that can work for you. (I love playing Christmas songs on my piano.)

8. Take a probiotic. Probiotics help normalize the bacteria in your body. This is especially important if you are taking an anti-biotic.

9. Keep your hands clean. Wash them with soap and water. (I need to do a better job of keeping my computer keyboard and phone screen clean.)

10. Keep your sense of humor! This will help with your stress level and you'll exercise your smiling muscles. Heard any good Christmas jokes lately?
 post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *