Friday, November 14, 2014
Tips for Winter Skin
Our weather is changing and so should the way we treat our skin.
Here are some tips to prepare your skin for those chilly days…
1. Switch from lotions to creams. As the weather gets colder, our skin requires added moisture in the form of balms and creams which are longer lasting and create a barrier on the skin to keep moisture in and harsh winter elements out. Gathered From the Garden's Satin and Silk Shea Butter Lotion is great for this.
2. Moisturize your hands after every washing. There's a reason they say that our hands show our age first! Constant contact with harsh detergents, hand-washing, hot water, cold and wind can dry out and chap hands. To ensure that you are keeping the moisture in, place a bottle of lightweight lotion next to the sinks in your bathroom and kitchen, in your desk drawer, purse and car so you have no excuse to skimp on moisture. Gathered’s Goat Milk and Honey Lotion comes in handy 8oz. and 2oz. sizes.
3. Start a lip care regimen now. Nip it in the bud by starting a lip regimen now. Wax-type lip balms are great for preventing your lips from drying out, but once they get chapped you need a moisture-rich balm to help repair the damage.
4. Be kind to your nails and cuticles. Nails are made of keratin which becomes brittle and can crack under harsh, cold conditions. Not to mention what the havoc of up-coming holiday cleaning and dishwashing can do to your cuticles! Soaking your fingertips in warm (not HOT) natural vegetable oils can help reverse dryness.
5. Exfoliate to restore your natural glow. Dead skin cells from UV exposure, swimming in chlorine and collections of sebum and other debris clogging your pores can make anyone's skin look dull and lifeless. Using a scrub product to exfoliate is a great way to loosen and remove dead skin cells, giving you a new canvas of fresh skin to pamper. Gathered’s Clay Mask is also good for drawing out impurities.