Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When Time is Short,What Really Matters?

I just got a call from my mom that my godfather is dying. He has been ill for quite awhile so it's not unexpected. Still, it is very sad and I know my dad will take it very hard.

It got me thinking. If time for me was short, what would I want to do with my last months,days,hours? Eat as much ice cream as I could? Travel more? Spend time with my family?

Well, yes, I do like to eat ice cream and now I wouldn't have to worry about calories. I think I would decide to eat dessert instead of breakfast and it wouldn't just be ice cream! Lots and lots of dark chocolate. I'd want to eat at my favorite Italian Restaurant a few more times too.

Should I travel constantly or spend the time at home? That would be a hard one! My hubby and I love to travel and there are so many places I haven't yet seen. But home is where the heart is. At this time of year my backyard flower beds are awfully pretty. It gives me a lot of pleasure to work with my flowers.

Spend time with my family. I'd want those grandkids here with me all the time! Would my out-of-state children come to stay with me? Would my out-of-state siblings? Would that be asking too much of them? I'd want to spend more time with my close-by siblings, parents, extended family and good friends too. I'd want them all to know how much I love them. I'd tell my husband how lucky I am to have him in my life. He truly is my better half!

I know I would try to be more happy, more grateful for still being able to see, hear, move. I'd try to appreciate all the blessings that I've been given. I'd try to be more generous with what I have.

Maybe just for fun I'd be a blond for a day. Maybe just for fun I'd be adventurous and take a ride in a hot air balloon. Maybe just for fun I'd buy art supplies and paint a big canvas. Maybe just for fun I'd sit in Oprah's audience. Maybe just for fun I'd throw a huge going away party (but I wouldn't tell my guests that I was going away!)

I read in a magazine that we should really be asking ourselves what is it that we aren't doing now that we'd do on our last day. Really why are we waiting? I don't know about the blond but I could paint a picture or convince Jerry to go on a hot air balloon ride with me. A party with all of my good friends and relatives would be really fun. So I need to get busy!

"On the last day of my life, I would want to plant a tree," the poet W.S. Merwin said. You know, that sounds good too!

post signature

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *