Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not That Cottage-Cheese Look!

One of the most common complaints we women have about our appearance is (you guessed it) cellulite!

It's estimated that 85% of women over age 20 have some degree of cellulite and the other 15% think they do. Cellulite occurs mainly in post-adolescent women for a biological reason: to ensure enough fat calories are available for pregnancy and lactation. Though cellulite can pop up any time, it is true that cellulite does seem to appear out of nowhere and get worse with age. That's because our tissues change. Those strands of connective tissue thicken with age, and our skin gets thinner, making cellulite more noticeable. There is no real "cure" for this condition and there is no way to prevent it. We can only try to reduce or minimize its appearance. (And as luck would have it, cellulite is rarely found in men. )

Creams, lotions, and gels may be able to firm the skin and improve the overall look of cellulite but no topical application can offer a long-term or lasting solution. There are other treatments available but some (like liposuction) are expensive and can’t guarantee that the cellulite won’t return. Laser treatments are still fairly new and have not been proven to have consistent results. As for those cellulite shorts, they don’t work either.
So what can you do to manage and minimize your cellulite? Here's a quick list of some things you can do that will help:
*Daily exfoliation can help to stimulate circulation. Use a body scrub made from sea salt, sugar or a combination of both. Rosemary essential oil stimulates circulation and blood flow while Grapefruit, Lemon and Juniper Berry can assist with detoxification of the tissue. (You can add drops of these oils to your sea salt or sugar mixture along with a carrier oil.)
*Another way to exfoliate is to dry brush daily, preferably before bathing or showering. This simple technique stimulates blood and lymph flow, removes dead skin cells and encourages new cell growth. (Skin brushing is also inexpensive. You can get a good quality body brush for much less than $10.)
*Drink plenty of water to help keep your cells hydrated and regularly flush out toxins from your body. This will improve the overall appearance of your skin and help improve your energy level too.
*Eat a balanced diet high in fiber, protein healthy fats (Omega 3s found in nuts, flaxseeds, and fish oils). Eliminate trans-fats and processed sugars. Eat lots of fruits and leafy greens. Avoid junk food, diet soda and processed foods.
*You knowthis one by now…give up those cigarettes and limit alcohol.
*Exercise regularly. Exercising helps promote your body's fat-burning mechanisms, increases circulation and blood flow, and lymphatic drainage.
*Get a regular massage. Massage has many health and therapeutic benefits including enhanced lymph drainage, improved blood flow, and increased detoxification. Consider an aromatherapy massage using some of the essential oils like the ones listed above. Talk to a medical professional or professional massage therapist about this option before you try it. While this may work in the short-term, cellulite will return without significant changes in your diet and lifestyle.
*Unprotected exposure to UV rays will actually promote visibility of cellulite. Topical sunless-tanning products or bronzers can be a safe alternative.

These seem to be realistic and healthy ways to get rid of your cellulite. Give them a try and see if they work for you.

post signature

Pin It!


Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop!!! Lovely blog:) You can find me at

Carol said...

Thanks for stopping by Hanna. Love your blog too!


Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *