Friday, February 25, 2011

Journaling Can Guide, Inspire and Heal

I came across an article about journaling and the many kinds of journals people keep. I don't know that mine is any one kind but it sure has provided me with an outlet for my emotions.

I started journaling when my youngest was 15. She was going through a tough time as a young adult wanting more freedom than her parents were willing to give. Looking back, she really wasn't that difficult at all, just being a typical teen-ager. At the time though it seemed like she was hell bent on making my life difficult. Journaling gave me a place to vent and basically feel sorry for myself without anyone making any judgements.

After she got her driver's license life seemed so much better to her and the two of us eventually became good friends again. Still I continued to write. Sometimes to vent, other times to write down my dreams, blessings I was grateful for or just write down things I had observed about life. Sometimes I'd read what I had written before and gained a little insight to happenings in my life. Things I would do differently, unresolved issues that needed attention or successes and challenges.

I am still journaling 15 years later. My writing now includes my business, my grandchildren and my travels. I continue to vent  and be grateful for the many blessings in my life. I don't write everyday.  I write when I feel that I need to express myself and don't necessarily need or want someone to respond.

I would recommend journaling for everyone. It can be a tool to help you find the beautiful things in life when things look bleak. I started writing in a simple notebook but I've seen beautiful journals that would really be fun to write in. (Marta has some really cute "mini" diaries that would be fun to tuck in your purse.)If you've never done it, I suggest you try it. You'll get to know yourself a little bit better!
post signature
Pin It!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Stopped by your blog and really liked what I read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *