Sunday, September 8, 2013

Passing Down Family Recipes

A lesson from Great-grandma

My family has an old, old recipe passed down from my grandmother and possibly her mother too. We call them Butterhorns. My mother always bakes these for holidays and other special family occasions. I have tried making them but they are never quite as good as hers. My sister Nancy who lives in GA can make them almost as good as mom's.

A few months ago my little granddaughters asked if Great Grandma would teach them how to make Butterhorns. So she bought the ingredients and invited them over for an afternoon of baking. They had a super fun time AND got to eat them fresh out of the oven.

I'm hoping to perfect them some day and to make them with my granddaughters too.  It would be a shame to not continue the tradition. (I don't have a picture of the finished product because they never last long enough to photograph them!)
 
 
 
Butterhorns--an old German family recipe
 
1 cup milk                    1/3 cup sugar                
zest from one lemon    1 cup butter (+ a little more)     
1 pkg. yeast                  1/2 teas. salt
3 eggs beaten               5 cups flour                  
optional chopped nuts
 
Scald the milk and butter. Let cool. Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water with some of the sugar. Add to the milk and butter mixture. Add the other ingredients. Mix well. Let rise until the dough is double in size. Roll out. Spread with more butter, sprinkle on some brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts if desired. (I have no measurements for this part. My mother and grandmother always knew by looking how much to put on the dough.) Let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees until light brown.
 
We frost them with a simple powdered sugar frosting when they are cool but they are also delicious unfrosted too!
 
Do you have any old family recipes?
 
 


post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *