Monday, September 2, 2013

Flip Flop Wisdom


As a grandmother I sometimes have to bite my tongue. They are not my children to raise even if I think I have better ideas. So when I see my granddaughters spending the summer in flip flops and now going back to school in them, I have to stay quiet.

It's not that I don't think flip flops are cute or like the idea you can get them to coordinate with any outfit. It's just that they are so bad for your feet. I think especially little feet. In our local paper yesterday was a feature article about how hard they are on your feet. They just aren't supportive, they can lead to hammertoes (because of how your toes grip the sandals) and heel callouses can form from repeated slapping of the flip flops.  Most people walk differently in them in order to keep them on. And...you know how much it hurts to stub your unprotected toe!

 Children have new bone growing in their feet. Flip flops do not cushion their heels so repetitive stress from walking in them can inflame the heel bone growth area and cause pain and tenderness. As a former teacher I used to see kids running in them on the playground and riding bikes--just an accident waiting to happen.

So what can you do (or my grandchildren do) to prevent problems?
* Replace old worn out flip flops.
*Leather flip flops are less likely to cause irritation.
*Wear the right size. Your toes and heel should not hang off the edges.
*Give them a break--wear them less. Use them for beach wear, at the pool or around the house.

Maybe if my daughter reads my blog she'll get the hint. Or maybe grandma has to take the girls shopping and help them pick out some different shoes as a treat. Hmmm...
post signature



Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *