Monday, May 25, 2009

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep


This holiday weekend I was at my sister's cabin. Sleeping in a different bed with a different bedtime routine kept me awake even though I was tired. Needless to say, I was not at my best today. So I decided to check out some restful sleep tips. Following these, you should sleep like a baby.

1. Choose the Right Sleep Position.
On your back with a pillow supporting your neck and under your knees is best. If you have to sleep on your side, put a pillow between your legs. Sleeping on your stomach is the worst. Even though we are used to one of these, you can change your sleeping position habit.

2. Choose the Right Mattress.
It should be firm and supportive. Check to see if your mattress comes with a warranty to guarantee satisfaction. Laying on it for 5 minutes in the store won't give you the true test.

3. Choose the Right Pillow.
If you sleep on your back it should support your neck. If you sleep on your side, the pillow should support your body from your neck to your shoulders. If you sleep on both, then your pillow should support both.

4. Stick to a Schedule.
Of course, I didn't. Sometimes it just isn't possible. But for the best sleep, go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time each day.

5. Don't exercise right before bed

6. Your bedroom should be for sleeping. Keep it cool, dark, quiet and comfortable.

7. Power naps are good but don't sleep for more than 1/2 an hour

Now that I know how to improve the quality of my sleep, I'm looking forward to a restful night. After all, we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping. Why not do it right? And if all else fails, you can still count your blessings, instead of sheep!
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *