Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lessons Learned on Vacation

My husband and I just got back from an 8 day vacation to Seattle and Oregon. We flew into Seattle and drove down to Portland, southern Oregon and then up along the coast back to Seattle. It was a great trip. Along the way I learned some interesting lessons.

Not every garden needs to be filled with color. While my flower beds give me great joy, the green in the Japanese Garden in Portland was very soothing and calming.

We in America take for granted our abundance of food. We passed numerous little stands selling fresh fruit (of course we stopped and bought some) and lots of Farmers' Markets. Coming from a state where most fresh fruit is shipped in, this was a real treat.
Seeing the redwoods in northern California made me realize how really inconsequential we are in the grand scheme of things. Some of these trees are 2,000-3,000 years old and have withstood the test of time. Something to be said for endurance. (and old is beautiful!)
Sometimes you gotta add more hustle to make things worthwhile. Of course we had to take another picture and having learned that I need to move faster (I had 10 seconds)the second one turned out quite nicely.
You are never too old to do what you really enjoy! This woman was actually singing along with another younger fellow who was also playing guitar. (They sounded very good.)
You will find kindness when you least expect it. We had two experiences with the goodness of strangers. One in a grocery store and one at the beach. To get to the ocean you had to cross (what I call a stream)by walking on a log. Jerry had already gone ahead but I was pretty leary about my balance. A gentleman offered to hold my hand while I walked across. I really appreciated that!

The last lesson is one I already knew. It is wondrous to travel and see other places but...there is no place like home!

post signature


Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *