Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lessons From The Farm

My mom and my youngest sister Pam. Both are natural nurturers ( is that a word?).

Growing up the oldest of 10 children on a farm in central MN was a lot of work but at times a lot of fun too. I learned many lessons that I still heed today.

You're never too old to change gears. I saw my mother get a job outside of our home and my dad leave a tough factory job for a job outdoors on a farm. They both took a chance at change and were successful. The time to make change in your life wasn't 10 years ago or 10 years from now. It's right now. Do what feels like you need to do! ( I am working on learning more about aromatherapy and dabbling in photography.)

Friendships, like good rich soil need tending. Don't lose touch with those people that ground you, give you strength and will be with you through the storms in life. Some of my fondest memories are times spent with my best friend Gail.

Find something to nurture and get your hands dirty. Too many of us are caught up in the world of technology which usually keeps us indoors. Take a moment to enjoy the world around you. Plant something, tend it and watch it grow!

Hard work never killed anybody or so my older relatives used to say. Thinking back to working on the farm I learned how to share burdens, use humor to brighten the load and to appreciate a job well done. I learned many skills that helped me to become very self-sufficient. (Of course at the time, it just seemed like work!)

My parents taught us to persevere and to take pride in what we accomplished. Out of the 10 children in my family, two are doctors, one is a cpa and owns his own business, two others farm together in a huge operation, three are teachers, one ran the marketing dept. of a pharmaceutical co. and one is a finance wizard. Hard work helped all of us get to where we are today. We are very proud of it too!

We are working hard at Gathered From The Garden to make products that can pamper you. Check out our website to find something for you or someone special in your life. Send us an email to subscribe to our online newsletter. We'd love to hear from you.
post signature
Pin It!

3 comments:

Leontien said...

Great post and i coudn't agree with you more!

heading over to look at the website!

Thanks
Leontien

Opal Stevens said...

I'm your newest follower :D Hope you can check out my blog sometime, opalstevens.blogspot.com!

Carol said...

Thanks Opal for stopping by. I enjoyed reading your post about the hair masks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *