Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do Our Imperfections Enhance Our Beauty?

                                                 l to r:  me, my sisters Nancy, Mary, Lisa and Pam--sister Annie not pictured

This weekend I had a somewhat unnerving experience. A colleague of my younger sister Mary (who is 10 years younger than me) asked if I was Mary's mother! I had never met this woman before so I was a little short with my answer "NO!".

Later, after I had the chance to reflect on it, I realized there will always be someone who is thinner, smarter, better-looking,more creative or younger than me. I can wallow in some self-pity or rail at that woman's insensitivity or accept the fact that we all have imperfections. In the book "The Woman's Book of Courage" by Sue Patton Thoele, she says that even clothes have a disclaimer. "This garment is made from 100% natural fibers. Any irregularity or variation is not to be considered defective. Imperfections enhance the beauty of the fabric."

I hadn't really considered that my imperfections could enhance my beauty. I'm still striving to be the best I can be but I 'm trying to accept that I am unique and can appreciate myself as I am now. This woman doesn't know what's on the inside, she was judging by what she saw on the outside. Yes, I'm older, but I have a lot of life experience to celebrate.

I also have to consider that maybe Mary is just VERY young-looking! If I got to add another daughter to my family, I'd be very proud to be her mother. As it stands now, I am enjoying the relationship that we have as older sister/younger sister. She is intelligent, generous and hard-working--one heck of a woman!! She has her imperfections too but that only adds to her beauty.

To celebrate the beauty of you why not pamper yourself with a jar of our Satin and Silk Shea Butter Lotion. I can't think of a better way to moisturize your skin on these beautiful days of spring!

post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *