Thursday, March 15, 2012

Say No To Tanning

I read an interesting article on the Skin Deep website about Amy Forman Taub, MD, a board-certified dermatologist, founder of Advanced Dermatology in Lincolnshire, IL, and assistant clinical professor at Northwestern University trying to get the public to sign a "No Tanning" pledge.More than two million people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year and one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. (My mother and sister-in-law both have skin cancer. My SIL loved to lay in the sun, my mother worked outside in her flower and veggie gardens.) Ms Taub would like to lower those numbers.

Skin Inc. says..."In a 2010 study, people who tanned indoors had a 74% increased risk of melanoma compared to those who never tan indoors. And occasional visits can be harmful, too: The risk of melanoma increases by 11% with just four visits per year." Ms. Taub is trying to particularly target teens who usually feel they look better tanned. Their skin is much more vulnerable to the harmful UV rays.

Pledge takers promise to stop using tanning beds or intentionally tanning outdoors. They also agree to protect their skin with sunscreen and care for their skin with visits to their dermatologist. As summer approaches, Taub suggests using sunless tanning. I have used both the at-home spray-on tan and the spray-on tanning booth. Both gave me a tan very easily and safely.

So...can you take the pledge?

The Pledge

I promise to....

Stop using tanning beds or intentionally tanning outdoors.

Protect my skin and health by wearing sunscreen, and by making regular dermatology visits.

Find the beauty in my natural skin color.

&Educate my family and loved ones on the damages of tanning.

You can sign up to take the pledge online if you'd like. Go here. ( I'll take the pledge on my own.)

post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *