Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How to Keep Your Engine Fueled

This was my week to do the longest run before the marathon. I managed to get in 20 miles yesterday. The weather was perfect and my ankle made it all the way. My calves did start cramping at mile 18 so that made for a painful run/walk the last two miles. ( My chiropractor daughter told me I need to be taking magnesium supplements to help with that.)

In order to have enough energy for my long runs I have been trying to eat really healthy. Lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies. I didn't really want to rely on granola bars to snack on so I was happy to come across this Trail Mix For Runners recipe. It is extremely easy, delicious and sticks with you. It would actually be a great snack for anyone that is working hard.


Runner's Trail Mix (courtesy of Runners World)
1 cup dried blueberries
1 cup dried tart cherries
1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup sunflower seeds or pepitas (pumpkin) seeds
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips


Mix all together and enjoy. (I think you could also add in a little flake coconut.)


1/4 cup serving is a great evening snack for me. Along with staying hydrated this should help me on those long runs!

Give it a try!
post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *