Saturday, April 13, 2013

You're Only As Old As You Feel or You're Fabulous At Every Age?

Today I needed to run 17 miles for my marathon training. It was a very hard 17 miles. We had just gotten over 8 inches of snow and the streets outside are very slippery. That means running inside on the treadmill. To top it off, I have a touch of stomach flu. I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to quit.

While I was running, I was trying to make time go faster by reading O magazine. Interestingly enough, there is a section on "Fabulous at Every Age" spotlighting women of different ages. The last person they chose to spotlight is Ida Keeling. (I had never heard of her before.) She is a 97 year-old sprinter. She broke the US sprinting record for her age group in 2012. She finished the 100 meter dash in just under 52 seconds! She didn't even start running until the age of 67.

This little bit of inspiration was just what I needed to finish out the 17 miles. Some days this body feels so old and I think what the heck am I doing? All of those young people are going to fly right by me at the marathon. Then I think of Ida, sprinting at age 96. I don't know if I'll still be running then but now I know it's possible. And...it's possible to keep this "not so old?" gal still going!


. post signature
Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Contact Me

Name *
Email *
Subject *
Message *