Monday, May 16, 2016
Five Minutes Away From Happiness
Is there such a thing as a happiness fix? I think so and I think you can get your "fix" in just a few minutes. Here are some things to try when you need to boost your spirits.
1. Blog. It can give you a place to journal about life, your family, whatever is important to you. You can also get a boost from positive comments that other people leave you.
2. Get outside and soak up the sun. (I know that I get very crabby when it is rainy or cloudy for too long.) Even standing in the sunlight coming in through a window can brighten your spirits. Sunlight also gives us Vitamin D which keeps serotonin levels high. (This is a feel-good hormone.)
3.Exercise. Just being able to move your body and work up a sweat can make you feel better. Running is hard work but finishing a run puts me in a good mood. I know I've accomplished something good for my body.
4.Listen to music. Your favorite tunes can make you feel happier right away! Music activates the part of our brain that's hardwired for pleasure.
5. Garden. It's hard to have your fingers in the dirt nurturing something and stay feeling blue. Studies have been done that show being around flowers can relieve stress and increase calmness. It works for me!
6. Be generous. Once in awhile leave a bigger tip or pay for coffee for the person in line behind you. I tried the 29 Days of Giving Challenge where you had to give something away every day for 29 days. It made me feel good every time I gave something away.
7. Volunteer. There are nursing homes, shelters and other charitable organizations always looking for help. Knowing that you're helping others will make you feel good too.
8. Spend time with your kids, grandkids or the neighbor's kids. Experiencing little joys through the eyes of a child will cheer you instantly.
9. Pamper yourself. A new shade of nail polish, a good haircut, a new pair of earrings...little treats for yourself will definitely improve your mood.
10. Look at photos displayed in your home or in your photo albums. You can't help but smile when you look at your favorite people and remember the good times spent with them. I have photos in every room of my house!
These are just a few ideas to bring about happiness. Which of these would work for you? (Can you tell I love taking photos of flowers and spending time with my grandchildren? These bring me so much happiness!)
What's your favorite thing to do when you're feeling down?